Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Dedication

This past Sunday, we got to participate in what our church calls a Parent Commitment ceremony with both of the kids. It was such a special time for our family I could not even put it into words. We were surrounded by our closest family and friends as we committed to raising our children in a household centered around the Lord. We committed to teach them and guide them spiritually until they are ready to make the decision themselves to accept Jesus. When I think about what that means, it is so overwhelming and such a huge task but I know I am not alone. I have the Lord to lean on as well as all of the awesome people that were to support us (and of course other friends that weren't able to make it). I am still so mad at myself because I did not get a group picture to document this huge day!!!

So big thanks to Suzu, Teddy, Nat (& Sadie in her tummy), Dan, Mimi, Bubba, Kev, Audrey, Connor, Nanna, Whites, Ramseys, Kisers, and Craigs. Special thanks to the Whites who got out of there house with a barely 3 week old! We were so blessed to have you all there supporting us on such a big day and know that you will all be such a huge influence on our kids.

At our church, there is a little reception beforehand and then we go into the chapel for the service.


Don't you dare say Laurel's outfit was a little much... this is one of the only days where I get to really get her all dressed up.


We didn't get a family picture because Micah refused to cooperate. I also tried to keep his shirt tucked it but that was not worth the battle.

Once in the chapel, each family walked across the stage. At this point Micah looked out into the audience and saw all of his favorite people sitting in the same place. He went nuts saying hi to everyone. Our pastor said "and this is Micah, who's name means, he who says hi".


Obviously that isn't really what his name means. So then our pastor shared how he has known David since his days of working in college ministry (Breakaway) and how he disciple David back then before me and kids, etc. It is really special to both of us but especially David to have that personal connection with our pastor. Then he went through the meanings of both kids names and the verse we have picked for them:


Micah means "who is like God and beloved" and
Laurel means "victorious heart" (LOVE that)

The verse we have chosen for them is Colossians 3:12
" Therefore, as God’s chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience."

We have chosen 2 very specific things to pray over our kids for their lives: compassion and confidence. We felt like this verse speaks well to those prayers for them.

Afterwards we went to dinner with family and after all of that we had 2 worn out kiddos!

Needless to say, it was a very special day for our family that we will always remember. We are so appreciative to everyone who was there!


No comments:

Post a Comment