Wednesday, August 31, 2011

First Day of School

I always heard about moms who got emotional on their kid's first day of school thought "I'm not going to be like that". I never judged, just had the teacher mentality that school is fun and exciting! I love education, especially the younger years. Well, let me just tell you, that all went out the window on Monday when I took Micah to his first day of preschool. He has been in MDO since he was 15 months and that didn't phase me but something about this being his first "school" was a very big deal to me. I mean seriously, when did this happen? It's as though he went to sleep and woke up a big boy! The toddler is fading and the baby is all gone. We have been talking about school starting for a while now and I have even driven by there a few times and showed it to him. On the way there on Monday, it took everything in me to hold it together. He seemed so uncertain and nervous but was so brave and that just really got me. He asked me if he could hold on to his "gi-gi" (blankie that he still calls gigi) on the way to school. This kid doesn't ever need his gigi unless he is sleeping so I knew he was feeling nervous. When we got to school, I walked him in (his school does have a carpool line that they strongly encourage you to use but I wasn't about to do that to him on the first day). He found his cubby all on his own, put his big boy back pack away and then started playing. I am so so proud of him. He didn't shed a tear and once I knew he was fine, Laurel and I left and I cried the entire way home. Poor David had to listen to the blubbering "he isn't a baby anymore!!!" and on and on and on. When I picked him up, he was so happy and told me all about his day. When I asked if he made any friends, he said "no, no one would tell me their name"... cue waterworks. Glad I was driving with sunglasses on so that Micah couldn't see my face. I doubt that he is really having trouble making friends but the thought of that just kills me. Day 2 on Tuesday (yes it is a Monday-Tuesday program, weird I know) he did amazing. I went to drop him in the car pool line and as the car door opened he jumped (literally) out and ran inside. Though it is hard (way harder than I ever thought it'd be), I am so excited for him to enter in to the world of going to school and so so proud of how brave he is. Here he is on his first day of school:


 What? Archer isn't going to be there??
Yes... devastating for him... I had to create a diversion...

We get to go get frozen yogurt after? That's a great idea!!!




In his new classroom. I am pretty sure he was supposed to be sorting the bears but I don't care, he was having fun and not crying! So proud of my big boy!

Photobucket