Friday, August 03, 2012

Is it scary?


This question comes out of Laurel's mouth multiple times a day right now. My once "throw caution to the wind" child has become very cautious and very easily scared by very random things (such as frog squirters in the bath tub-- they absolutely terrify her). It was really a slow progression that started when she hit the separation anxiety/clingy phase. This summer, everywhere we go, she takes her time warming up and wants to be held a lot. While sometimes this is exhausting, I know that these days are few and I certainly don't mind her "bear hugs" and "snuggles" when she is scared. At Noah's Ark last week, she held this skeptical face for most of the time we were there and we had the following conversation more times than I could count:

Laurel: "Is that a (fill in blank of any animal)
Me: "Yep, that's a pig (or other animal)
Laurel: "Is it scary?"
Me: "Nope, it's not scary"
Laurel: "It's not? It's just pretend?"
Me: "Yes, it is just pretend. Not scary at all."
Laurel: "Oh. Ok. I don't want to touch it"
Me: "Ok, we don't have to go anywhere near it"
Laurel: "Oh. Ok."

Repeat. With every animal on Noah's Ark. 

Is it strange that I find this phase to be adorable? I just love watching her little inquisitive mind figure out her little world. Here's to hoping she figures out that her little world isn't very scary. 

Photobucket

1 comment:

  1. Pearson has never gone through a separation anxiety phase. I wonder if he'll just go through it later like Laurel. I do think you are smart for enjoying all the snuggles, because mine are few and far between with my busy boy. I wouldn't mind a few here and there.

    ReplyDelete