Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Micah

I decided this morning that I would share some insight with our readers on why we chose the name Micah for our little guy. When choosing a name our our son, one of my main criteria (strange as it may be) was that I didn't want it to be an unusual name. As a teacher, the first day of school is always very interesting when you have those unusual names. So, I wanted it to be easy to pronounce, no strange spelling, no nickname (first day of school for me: "Allyson?"... "I go by Ally."), and I wanted it to have some meaning to us.

Well, after 5 months of, "Micah, huh, that's a unique name, is that a family name?" or "Micah, I've never heard that one before." Obviously, we were a little off. That's ok, we don't mind. I still think we accomplished most of our goals. I thought I would share why we chose the name.

When we lived in Dallas and David was attending Dallas Theological Seminary, I attended a weekend retreat for seminary wives. The theme of the weekend was humility and humbling ourselves before God. It was such an amazing weekend and I learned SO much from those women. The scripture verse for the weekend was:

"He has told you, O man what is good; And what does the LORD require of you But to do justice, to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?"
Micah 6:8

So, the whole weekend, we talked about what that means to walk humbly with God. After that weekend, I decided I loved the name Micah because of that verse (maybe it's far fetched, maybe not).

I can only pray that my Micah chooses to be a man of God who bestows the quality of humility and chooses to do just what this verse says.

4 comments:

  1. I really love the name Micah and can't wait to meet your little man!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous9:05 PM

    I think it's a great name. What a great story. I love it! You guys did a great job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous9:26 PM

    So, at Hannah's college graduation soiree, she told me that I could read one scripture. After much deliberation, want to guess what I chose?

    It is a beautiful thing to be connected.

    See you both in a week (tell David he will be missed!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing, hon....and he just LOOKS like a Micah!
    Love yall!
    Ms

    ReplyDelete