I realize I haven't shared a recipe in a while so I'll give you a really good one. The original recipe is off the Cooking Light website. Click here for the link.
I added a few things and changed reworded the directions to what made more sense to me so here is my version:
Slow-Roasted Rosemary-and-Garlic Chicken
Yummmmmm! This chicken slow cooks all day long leaving your house smelling delicious! The end result closely resembles a rotisserie chicken which I love.
10 garlic cloves, minced
2 Tbs chopped fresh rosemary
1 roasting chicken (just a whole chicken, wait until they go on sale)
5 garlic cloves
4 rosemary sprigs
1/4 c orange juice
1 Tbs balsamic vinegar
Some little cute new potatoes (as many as you think you/your family will eat)
Green beans (same quantity as above--- don't skip these, this was the best part)
Instructions:
Combine minced garlic and chopped rosemary.
*This is the part that grossed me out and was a totally new experience**
Remove and discard giblets and neck from chicken. Rinse chicken with cold water; pat dry. Trim excess fat. (Yea, I had no clue what I was doing here. I even watched a you tube video for some guidance and was still lost. Proves you don't have to be a pro though because I figured it out and whether it was the right way or not, the end result still tasted good. Just reach inside Mr. Chicken and pull out whatever you find.)
Starting at neck cavity, loosen skin from breast and drumsticks by inserting fingers, gently pushing between skin and meat. Rub garlic mixture under loosened skin over breast and drumsticks. Place 5 garlic cloves and rosemary sprigs into the body cavity. Place chicken, breast side down, in an electric slow cooker. Cover with lid; cook on high heat for 1 hour.
*While the chicken is cooking for that first hour, wash your potatoes and let them dry. Snap your green beans and wash them. After you reduce heat to low (see below), add potatoes and green beans.
Reduce heat setting to low; cook 7 hours (mine cooked 6 and was perfectly juicy). Remove chicken from slow cooker, reserving drippings. Discard skin from chicken.
*Now you are going to make a sauce to pour over your chicken*.
Place a zip-top plastic bag inside a 2-cup glass measure. Pour drippings into bag; let stand 10 minutes (fat will rise to the top). Seal bag; carefully snip off 1 bottom corner of bag. Drain drippings into a small saucepan, stopping before fat layer reaches opening; discard fat. *This is a little tricky. Don't wait until fat layer is right at opening.* Add orange juice and vinegar to saucepan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer 10 minutes. *Then pour over chicken*.
I find this kind of chicken easier to serve when you take all of the meat off of the bones and put them on a plate. Then, I poured the sauce over all the chicken and then dished it up. Does that make sense?
Enjoy!
that sounds really really yummy!! but kinda hard and time consuming..maybe I will try that for fathers day!! see you tomorrow.
ReplyDeletethis sounds soooo good...but not easy. Maybe I'll try it one day when I don't have a 9-5 job.
ReplyDeleteThis looks really good!! I'm wondering- could you just use chicken breasts? I think my stomach could handle pulling everything out of the chicken.
ReplyDelete