No, I am not kidding. I had the most awful and weird experience yesterday. I'll start at the beginning-- I went in for my 2 week check up with my OB 2 weeks ago. She checked my incision and said everything looked great and I was on my way. I was feeling great, recovery going well, etc. A couple of days later, I started having new pain and discomfort. Then I noticed that right above my incision, there was something trying to poke out from the inside. I know that sounds weird but that is what it felt like. So, I called my Dr. and they had me come in. My Dr. looked at it and said "Hm, this has only happened one other time in all the years I've been doing this". Seriously? That was what I was thinking. She said that it is just an internal stitch that hasn't dissolved yet but that it would dissolve in 3 months if I wanted to wait. No, thank you. She said to give it a couple of days then and if it was still bothering me, I'd have to come in and she'd have to "make a small cut and trim the stitch". So I was picturing a simple dermatologist like procedure where I walk in, they numb me, tiny surface cut, she trims the stitch and I walk out. No big deal. I went yesterday for this simple procedure and had planned on just driving myself and taking Laurel with me because it was no big deal. Micah was with Mimi & Bubba so that I wouldn't have to worry about him. Luckily, Becky offered to go with me. She thought that this might not be "no big deal" even though I insisted that it was. So, we arrive at the Dr. yesterday and I had no idea what was coming. My Dr. came in and asked if I was sure I didn't want to go to the surgery center. I was. So she started gathering supplies... multiple of those sterile packages. I started thinking "that is a lot of tools, this is odd". Then, she did a little numbing shot and went to work. She pulled out a scalpel. No lie. She then cut me open. No lie. And I am no being dramatic, I promise. There was blood. And there was pain. There wasn't enough of the numbing because there was a lot of pain. She then proceeding to use some tweezer like instrument and then a clampy thing and then scissors and what not to dig around inside my body. She kept saying "it is deeper than I thought" and "if I could just get it...". She was having a hard time finding the stitch but she kept trying. Then she said that she would try one more time and if she couldn't get it, I'd have to go to the surgery center and they'd probably put me under. Completely. It was around this point that I realized I may have simplified it a little too much in my head. Anyway, she made her new incision a little larger (which I felt) and she was able to get the stitch and trim it with this little mini-saw thing. She then closed it up and cleaned up all the blood. Because there was lots of blood. Lots of blood and pain. Did I mention that? She told me to take some pain meds and come back in a week. THEN she said "Wow, you're a trooper, I don't know if I could've handled that". I have never really been known for having a high pain tolerance so I felt proud. Walking to the car, I have never been in so much pain in my whole life. That might be a little exaggeration but it hurt. I definitely wouldn't have been able to drive so Thanks Becky! I took pain meds all day yesterday and today I am feeling much better without them. Sorry if I grossed you out, I just felt the need to share my exciting day. And I should also say that I absolutely love my Dr. and I think that she is a genius. I couldn't believe that she was able to perform a minor surgery right there in the office.
Ally you poor thing. I cannot believe this happened. I guess the Lord was gracious in not letting you know what was ahead. Imagine if you would have known going into it. Bless your heart. I hope you heal well this time around.
ReplyDeleteOh my goodness Ally. I'm so glad you are all better.
ReplyDeleteWOW! Thanks for sharing, and I am IMPRESSED!
ReplyDelete