I cannot believe that a year has come and gone. Only 3 more days until our baby girl is 1! The past week has been a little busy with the arrival of my niece Sadie! A post about that coming soon. We planned Laurel's birthday party 2 weeks before her actual birthday just in case Sadie decided to come early and I'm so glad that we did! We decided to do something really small for Laurel's first birthday and it was so relaxed and fun. We had it at Teddy and Suzu's new house in College Station and just invited family (and a couple close friends). Nat, the kids, and I went up early because I had this grand plan of making Laurel's cake and I had this picture in my head of what I wanted it to be and I had a feeling it might take a while. Side note: some of you might be laughing because you remember that I did this for Micah's first birthday and after spending 3 hours on a gumpaste elephant, I threw it in the trash, had a small nervous breakdown, and ended up getting the cake from a bakery (thanks to my mother in law who took the picture of the over-ambitious cake to her favorite bakery and then bought the cake for us). Well, I am still an idiot and was bound and determined to do it again but actually complete the cake. Just for the record, I will never... mark my words, NEVER make another cake for one of my children's birthdays. Did you hear that? I said it. Now you have to hold me to it. I won't even go into how much time I spent on the cake, how many cakes I threw away, and how unhappy I am with the final product. End side note. Being up there an extra day gave us a little extra time to relax at Suzu and Teddy's *amazing* new house!
OK, on to the party! I had so much fun planning this pink monkey party for my little monkey!
Party Details:
Decorations: tissue pom poms, hanging monkeys and bananas (made with my silhouette), banner (made with silhouette), sign on door, pictures hanging of Laurel from each month. I had a big monkey sitting by a vase full of banana runts as you walked in. Next to that, I had a monkey children's book for all of the guests to sign. I did this for Micah's party too and it is a fun but useful way to have a guestbook. I also had lots of balloons up throughout the house.
I wanted it to be super cute but I tried to not go all out because it was such a small party. I was so happy with how cute everything turned out and how much fun everyone had! BIG THANKS to Suzu and Teddy for opening up there new home and helping with all of the food (ok pretty much doing all of the food while I obsessed over the cake).
that is HILARIOUS because i totally remember you attempting micah's cake!!! if it is any consolation, that is a way better job than i could do!!
ReplyDeleteToo cute! Which store did you get her skirt from? I think Clairebear needs one.
ReplyDeleteI just ordered paper poms for the shower this weekend ... should have borrowed yours! Cute party! I too want the skirt for my niece!
ReplyDeleteI've been WAITING for this post and pictures. Absolutely precious. Thanks for sharing!
ReplyDeleteI got the pettiskirt on etsy, the name of the store is "dreamspunkids"... SO CUTE! They make each one custom so allow about 6 weeks (Laurel's only took 4 weeks to get here though). We got the shorter length option in a 12 month size and I think she'll still be able to wear it when she's 3. :)
ReplyDeleteLOVE IT! She is soo adorable and so was all the party stuff! You are so talented!
ReplyDelete