Looking back over this year, I am so full of joy. I decided to compile a little top 10 list of 2011 for me.
1. My man:
David and I celebrated 5 years of marriage this year and I can honestly say that it just keeps getting better. I love him more now than I did the day I married him 5 years ago and can't wait to see how that grows over the next 5+ years. Don't get me wrong, marriage is still hard and always takes a lot of work! I still feel like we are learning about each other and how to communicate and wonder if I will still feel like that in 20 years. He is a hard worker, patient leader and a 100% selfless husband and daddy. I feel so blessed that he is mine. It has been really fun to watch him over the past year as he has settled into 2 roles that he was meant for. 1) running his own company... yes ELL started last year but this year, they have had a great year and grown in the process. Since I love my job and what I do everyday, it is such a blessing to me to see him love what he is doing too. 2) Leadership in the church. More on this below but it is really neat to see the course that God had for David/our family starting with him in seminary 5 years ago.
We've only changed a little, right?
2. My littles
This blog is pretty much about them so I won't go on for too long. I'll just pick the highlights for the moment:
Micah's sensitive spirit and watching him turn into his own person (complete with a serious attitude)
Laurel's new independence and communication. Since her tubes surgery, Laurel's vocabulary has exploded. My favorites are to hear her say every member of the family. "Nonner" and "Yev" (Connor and Kev) crack me up every single time. Thanks to those uncles, she also gives fist bumps now which is also hilarious. Her most repeated word right now: "SELF!" (hence the independence)
3. Accountability
My accountability group has truly changed my life. Meeting every other Tuesday at Olive Garden with Brandi, Jodie and Allison has been such a blessing to me. They speak truth in love when they challenge me, they encourage me and they each inspire me to be a stronger and better person in the Lord. I treasure my friendship with each one of them. It's not all serious, though. They are also great at making me laugh and teaching me how to not be so hard on myself. I can't find a picture of the 4 of us so here is a picture of our bi-weekly meeting spot!
4. Stay-at-home Mommy Friends
I know I've also mentioned this one before, but I feel so blessed by the friendships I have right now. Not all of my friends are stay at home mamas but #4 is a tribute to those that are. This picture doesn't include all but it includes 5 of them! Being a stay at home mommy is close to impossible without a solid group of stay at home mommy friends. It is so nice to pick up the phone and know that on the other end, the person you are talking to knows exactly what you are dealing with. We share in our triumphs and our failures and through our friendships all of our kids are friends, too. Just writing this is making me miss our play dates that took a hiatus during the holidays!
NO I am not pregnant. Did you think for a second that I might be? I am not. I meant our new additions this year with Sadie and Alex! I know I have said it a million times on the blog so I'll spare you the paragraph... I will just say that we are so fortunate to have ALL of our family in Houston with us (now that Connor has moved back and starts a new job in January). We know we are spoiled. It isn't just a blessing that they are here with us, though, it is also a huge blessing that they are such a part of our family's lives. We have babysitters galore and multiple homes away from home! It is a pretty fun phase our families have entered with more kiddies coming into the world. Being an Aunt is so much fun, I can't wait to see who's next :)
6. HFBC/Inside Out
You know by now that we enjoy being involved in our church and serving there. I have been in MOPS leadership the past 2 years and David has been a part of Celebration for the past 3 years. It has been really neat to get to serve together for the first time this year. We had been a part of the same Sunday School class since we joined the church back in '09 and the class was busting at the seams. We had grown and grown and had come to a point where there was no more room for growth. The directors of that class asked me and David to prayerfully consider being directors of a new class. After much thought, prayer and consideration, we felt called to do it. Through it all, I have felt like the past year was our "ah hah" year as we've been able to see the Lord's guidance and direction for our lives from seminary 5 years ago to church leadership now. We were able to take a few couples from our old class with us as we started our new class, Inside Out, in April. It was hard leaving, harder than I ever thought it would be. I am so glad we had the faith to make the move because I couldn't be happier with where we are now. I can't wait to see how the Lord grows our class in 2012!
Natalie and I have not always been that close. We have had close stages in our life and not so close stages in our life. For the first time, however, I feel like we are more than just sisters in that we are also best friends. It took some time and some growing up on both of our sides but something about being married and being moms together has completely changed our relationship and I am so blessed by it. She and Danny have joined our Sunday School class and now our lives overlap quite a bit. I love getting to watch her be a mommy and I love getting to be such a part of Sadie's life. I have also loved getting to watch her discover her creativity and pursue photography. It has been especially fun to pursue a partnership between Natalie Blazei Photography and Little Bears Designs, can't wait to see what 2012 has in store for that!
8. Little Bears
I have so enjoyed having a little something that is mine with Little Bears. I love learning new things and challenging myself but most importantly, I really love getting to design cards! This year was the best year yet for LBD and I hope that the growth continues!
9. Coffee
My sweet husband has been trying to turn me into a coffee drinker and a reader and this year, he got his wish. I am a total addict and am not capable of waking up without my cup of coffee. I feel like it would sound weird to say that coffee has changed my life, but I would venture to say that I am 10x more pleasant in the mornings now. :)
10. Reading/my Kindle
Lastly, I finally took up reading this year. I know that sounds odd but I have just never really been a reader. I never really enjoyed it until the last 7 months... which just so happens to be when my Kindle came along. I have read 10 books since getting it. I need to do some book reviews because I have loved everything I've read. My most recent reading obsession is The Twilight Saga. I know, most girls read these years ago and I swore I never would but from the moment I started I was hooked. I just finished the last book last night and am dying to go see the movie in theaters. David got me the first 3 movies for Christmas and I have already watched them all. Next up on my reading list is The Hunger Games.
Bye bye 2011 and hello 2012!












Jacob's roommate who was the first Dukie out in LA produced Hunger Games. Jacob got us the books for Christmas and I am thinking about reading them. Your family is a delight. And your blog is always a highlight. Love you!
ReplyDeleteI am such a reader now and just started in 2009. The Hunger Games trilogy is AMAZING!!! There are lots of fun books out there!!! Would love to read some of your reviews, always looking for ideas.
ReplyDeleteoh how i love this list and you!
ReplyDeletecan't stop smiling at the first two pictures of you and david.
cheers to 2012!