Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Book Review: Still Alice

Sorry I have been a little MIA from the blog world lately. I decided to start revamping my Little Bears website, completely re-do my bedroom, and have a birthday all in one week. What was I thinking? Many posts to come about all of those adventures but right now, I am feeling a little lightheaded from the furniture stain from my bedroom so I'll leave you with a random book review.

Just in case you didn't know, I am not a reader. I have never really enjoyed reading therefore I am a very slow reader and if ever I read a book that uses a word I don't know, it makes me feel stupid so I put it down. I'm prideful like that. Enter the Kindle. It has changed my life for many reasons.

First, it makes reading mess free. I hate the clutter of books on a nightstand but this beauty doesn't bother me one bit.



















Second, (as pictured above), it has a little light attached so I can read essentially anywhere and I can lay in bed and read after David has already turned out the light. I am really lazy and don't like reaching over and turning out the light once I am already snuggled into bed.

Third, it is one more excuse to organize. I have lots of little folders on my kindle. Folders that are so unnecessary but I love finishing a book and putting it in my "On the Shelf" folder (that I created for books I am finished with).

Fourth, I can go on vacation and read multiple books but don't have to bring them. I currently have 30 books just sitting on there waiting for me to read them (Thanks Nat and Suzu for sharing).

Fifth, I don't have to smell that old book musty smell. David completely disagrees and that is one of his reasons for refusing to own a Kindle. He loves the way books smell and feel. I do not.

Sixth (and most importantly), if you come across a word you don't know, you just put your cursor over it and the definition pops up. I kid you not. This is the most amazing invention for prideful readers with a limited vocabulary. Life-changing, I tell you. Get ready because if I keep this reading thing going I am liable to start using some of those big words.

I could go on and on with all the reasons why I love my Kindle but I'll stop there. Since getting it, I have completed 3 books and am 83% done with my 4th (I also really love that little percentage feature).

So, I thought I'd start a little book review thing on here where I tell you about a book when I finish it. Don't expect anything fancy or long. I also won't give a lot away in case you want to read it.

So, first book up:























This book was so so good. From the moment I started, I couldn't put it down. The basic premise is an incredibly intelligent woman (professor at Harvard) who is diagnosed with Early-Onset Alzheimer's Disease. Each chapter is a month so you follow her for a year starting with the month before she is diagnosed. It is a novel but boy oh boy does it seem real. Frighteningly real. Like keep me up at night,  every time I lose my keys I am terrified I have Alzheimer's real. I really didn't know much about the disease until reading it. My mom recommend it because my grandma (see previous post) is suffering from the disease. I was so close to her growing up and it has been heartbreaking for me to watch her battle this. It is just awful. This book gave me so much more perspective. I will warn you, it is pretty sad, but so very good. I highly recommend it.

Click Here to read more about it from the book's website.

Other books I've recently finished that will review soon: The Red Tent and Loving the Little Years.

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment